Join us in launching National Reconciliation Week 2022 by taking part in the National Acknowledgement of Country.
Register your interest and post in the Facebook event.
We are asking people all across Australia to acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the Country on which we live, work, learn.
WHY IS ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF COUNTRY IMPORTANT?
This practice raises awareness of the histories, cultures and sovereignty of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People.
Acknowledging Country shows you accept and understand that no matter where you are across this nation, you are on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander lands, and you acknowledge ongoing connection to Country.
WHO CAN GIVE AN ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF COUNTRY?
Everyone. It can be given by both non-Indigenous people and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
WHAT DO I SAY?
This suggested wording will help you capture your Acknowledgement of Country.
“This National Reconciliation Week, I acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the Land on which I stand. I acknowledge the (people) of the (nation) and pay my respects to Elders past and present.”
Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander people may wish to also acknowledge their own families and Nations.
HOW AND WHERE DO I ACKNOWLEDGE COUNTRY?
- Record your Acknowledgement of Country via a video.
- Take a photo of you or members of your household holding up a sign.
- Make chalk art or signs on your driveway and upload photos or video.
- Record a video message at your workplace.
- Ask and encourage your colleagues to take part to create a collage or compilation.
- If working remotely, host a zoom meeting with colleagues and ask everyone to hold a sign Acknowledging the Land they are working on.
- Create paintings, drawings or signs with your students and upload photos or video.
- Create video messages and encourage teachers and administration staff to get involved.
Remember to use the hashtag #BeBraveMakeChange #NRW2022
WHEN WILL WE ACKNOWLEDGE COUNTRY FOR NRW 2022?
12pm (AEST) Friday 27 May 2022
It doesn’t need to be live, you can pre-record, pre-write or pre-create your acknowledgement however you like and post it at Midday.
if you are at an in-person event or at work or school encourage everyone to acknowledge Country at this time.
HOW DO I FIND OUT THE TRADITIONAL OWNERS OF THE LAND I AM ON?
Know whose Country you are on – resources like the AIATSIS Map of Indigenous Australia are a useful starting point.